Monday, March 30, 2009

Humility

Any ideas on how to be more humble? I recognize I don't come across as I should, because I am often told I come across as a know-it-all. There are many reasons for this, but none that justify how I allow others to perceive me. If there is anyone out there that reads this blog that has some ideas on the topic, let me know.

1. Spend more time honoring others words, time, efforts, and less time focusing on myself.
2. Speak less.
3. When speaking ask questions. (This is more difficult.)
4. Speak fewer words, shorter sentences, present less lecture-like.
5. Maybe just don't speak.
6. Use milder emotions.
7. Use softer illustrations.
8. Find ways to shift focus off of me and onto others.

3 comments:

William said...

I think this blog post was a good start...

Let me know if you figure anything out on this one.

Like I tell my students: Practice, practice, practice!

Aaron said...

I found this article searching for "daily discipline," which I knew was not an original concept to me of course, but which I've never really looked for how others do it. I try at the end of each month to decide on a daily 15-30 minute habit-forming discipline for the next month to improve myself in whatever particular way I feel lacking at that point in life.

This particular question comes up for me a LOT... I think humility is the biggest challenge facing those who really work to self-improve; hard not to feel prideful when you feel the power of your own progress.

Here are some of the things I've tried.

1.) In conversation, consciously try to use less sentences then the other person. (by the way, your first 5 I just try to do always anymore)
2.) Carry a journal and write your thoughts down rather than blasting others with them. Even better, carry a journal and write down what the other person says.
3.) Make your thoughts less verbal. Many of my daily disciplines are for this alone... like sketching every day. A weird one that does seem to do me good... keep counting in my head all day long from the moment I get up in the morning. It ends up kind of serving as a constant reminder not to take my thoughts too seriously.
4.) As you said, when speaking ask questions... I also try to limit my questions to 5 words or less.
5.) Watch your conversation for "filler phrases" and personal cliches like "in the end," "as far as that goes," "in any case," or whatever yours might be.
6.) Trust that a simple smile is often a far better response than any words could ever be.

Great blog! Thanks for sharing!

Andrew Hill said...

Aaron, thanks for the response. Like your comments.